Monday, October 15, 2012

Experience in a recruitment drive


          Today I and my sister-in-law(didi) went for a recruitment drive at Kakkanad. I was pretty amazed by the behavior of people who came to attend than the huge number present at the drive. It was a recruitment conducted by Govt to recruit people to private companies. I must say a very good initiative.

          The event was supposed to start by 9. By the time we reached there, the premises was filled with a lot of candidates leaving very less space for us to walk ahead. An announcement was  continuously  made to fill in the form. What form and which form, we had no idea. Suddenly we saw a guy raising a bunch of paper and the crowd jumped over him and the paper was torn off within fraction of seconds. Later we realized that those were the forms to be filled in :). Same happened with one of the guys who was a part of the recruitment drive as well. Can this be called eagerness to get a job or madness?

          I lost my hope to get one form. But luckily my didi got one form but what for me :(. Later we got to know that hand made forms are enough. The form was just a summary of our bio data and the name of company which we are applying. And we could apply to only 4 companies. Next task ahead for us was to make 4+4 8 forms for us. But where are we supposed to get white papers to write? Luckily I had more than enough resumes with me and I had one extra page of Reference in it. Torn off 8 of them and made the so called forms and got ready for the hunt.

          Once the inauguration ceremony was over, we were asked to vacate the hall and wait outside. There were 17 companies which came for the drive. Out of which around 5 were for graduates and only 3 for technical post :(. My didi as a Bcom MBA post graduate and she had enough openings. We moved to next building to submit our resumes. The stall was put on second floor of the building. I don't know why they had to do that. The whole stairs till second floor was filled with people n people and zero space. We were taken up automatically by the flow. By the time we reached up, I was drenched in sweat and frustrated. Reaching there I got to know one company needed BTech grads only and other is a call center firm. I backed off.  My didi could apply to another company but we were sure we wouldn't be able to make it till the entrance. Crowd was huge. We tried to come down, but we were further pushed upwards. Somehow we fighted and came down with another bunch of people who was struggling to come down.

          I realized how eager are the people for a job. It was my first time experience in such a crowd. I have been in recruitment drives before, but all of them were conducted by the companies themselves or by a private firm. And I had attended all those just after my graduation, I don't think people at that time were this eager for a job. Discipline was maintained and also the crowd was much more regularized. May be we still had the hangover of "being students" at those time. May be this is a result of  increase in degrees in the educational column and increase of frustration of being jobless. I am in a starting stage only.

Way to go..!!